The Michigan Central Station was built in 1913 for the Michigan Central Railroad. It was Detroit, Michigan’s passenger rail depot from its opening in 1913 until the cessation of Amtrak service in 1988. At the time of its construction, it was the tallest rail station in the world
On April 7, 2009, the Detroit City Council passed a resolution aimed at the demolition of the Depot. Seven days later, Detroit resident Stanley Christmas sued the city of Detroit to stop the demolition effort, citing the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966. The future of the building is undetermined.